Make Your Bathroom More Convenient
March 20, 2017
The Castlebrook Kitchen Tranformation
August 16, 2017
Show all

Alberta Energy Efficiency Home Improvement Rebates Eligibility

Now that the Alberta Government’s Home Improvement Rebate Program is in full swing, contractors who have registered for the program, such as us over at Nord Alta Construction, have been getting quite a few calls looking for more information about the program. Let’s face it, the government website has done an okay job of answering some basic questions about the program, but it can be a little difficult to get into the nitty-gritty. So, to help you out, I’ll outline some important information that you need to know about eligibility for the program.

The type of home you live in matters.

In order to be eligible for the program, your home must be a detached home, a semi-detached home, a side-by-side duplex, a side-by-side row home, or a mobile home on a permanent foundation with a year round water supply that is intended as a residence. In addition, your home must have a separate gas and/or electricity meter. Although this might seem to include all housing, there are some exceptions:

If your home is under construction, unoccupied, or used as a summer or cottage home, then you are ineligible for rebates. As well, multi-family dwellings, such as high-rises, apartments and condos don’t qualify either.

Certain parts of your home may not qualify for the rebate.

If you are adding an addition to your home, the addition is considered “new construction” and therefore doesn’t qualify for the rebate. In fact, any new construction doesn’t qualify…only renovations. As well, unheated spaces such as garages, outbuildings, sun-rooms or covered porches also don’t qualify. “What about my heated garage where I store my collection of Elvis jumpsuits? Will I get a rebate if I add more insulation to the space?” The answer, to this one, according to the website, is no. The garage is not considered part of the building envelope and therefore does not qualify.

You have to find a contractor who is participating in the program.

The Government of Alberta wants to ensure that the work performed on your home meets acceptable standards. This means that you cannot do the work yourself, or, just hire any old contractor. You must hire a contractor from the list provided on the Energy Efficiency Alberta website. (Hint: if you’re in the Edmonton or surrounding area, you can visit this website for a certified contractor). As well, there is a process is place to ensure that the work done meets certain standards and that you receive the appropriate rebate for the work being done.

Other factors that leave you ineligible.

If you are a dealer or distributor of any of the rebate products (say, windows for instance).

If your home’s utility bill is in the name of a condo corporation, you are also out of luck.

If you have started the project before starting the rebate application process.

So how much of a rebate am I getting back for this energy efficiency stuff?

Again, there are a lot of factors that determine the size of the rebate. A lot of it depends of where you home is at currently and what you are planning on putting in place. There are some basic guidelines on the Energy Efficiency Alberta website. Here are the links for windows, insulation and hot water heaters.

If you have any additional questions, the friendly staff at the Government of Alberta can be reached by email at or by phone at 1-844-357-5604.